Welcome

Currently I work as a technician/ teaching assistant in the art and technology department at a secondary school in East London. Prior to this I studied at London College of Fashion (LCF) and Central St Martin’s (CSM). I have been working as an artist since my time at CSM, mainly doing commissioned work and working for small bespoke design companies and set up my own company called Not Quite Lauren last year. Over the last year I have decided that I would like to focus on becoming a teacher. Hopefully on completion of this course I will be able to do a Graduate teaching program (GTP).

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Web 2.0 platforms, the pros and cons

 The development of Web 2.0 platforms has completely altered the way a ‘user’ uses the internet. I have put speech marks around the word user because Web 2.0 platforms have transformed the user into a creator. The internet is no longer solely a source of information but a tool for sharing information. ‘The key to competitive advantage in internet applications is the extent to which users add their own data to that which you provide.’ O’Rilly,T.2005, Web 2.0. www.ttivanguard.com  We engage with the internet, sharing all sorts of information, uploading information gaining feedback and responses from other like minded people, people who you may never met face to face.  It has created a global community. But is this a completely positive move forward?  As artists we are taught to never work in a vacuum, to allow inspiration to come from, and to be influenced by everything around you. With this idea in mind Web 2.0 platforms seems like a great tool for an artist to use.  But can you become too influenced by other people’s thoughts and ideas? Using the way in which our course is conducted as an example; we are encouraged to post thoughts on the readers, what our interpretations of them are and any theories and conclusions we have drawn from them. After commenting on each other’s thought so much is there not the possibility that we might all come up with the same collective conclusion? And what is stopping someone from never drawing their own opinions, merely agreeing with what others say and then just regurgitating it as their own. Please don’t get me wrong I think this is an excellent way to conduct a course and as I have mentioned before, I thinks way of working will really benefit me as I prone to going off on tangents and like to get constant feedback on what I am doing. I just think there is a fine line between being influenced by and plagiarising and I think we will all have to tread carefully. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I absolutely agree with your comment about general public being able to comment in productions and their opinion being equally valuable, if not more so than a reviewer at times. What i blogged was based on the key elements that came out of our discussion at uni on Friday! I totally think that everyone has the right to an opinion and we as practioners should be wise enough to filter information and take critism where neccessary.
    I think you make a valid point about being easily influence by other people's comments...but i guess we really need to find a balance between knowing who we are (as performers) and taking on new ideas without being completely swayed by what someone else says!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete