Welcome

Currently I work as a technician/ teaching assistant in the art and technology department at a secondary school in East London. Prior to this I studied at London College of Fashion (LCF) and Central St Martin’s (CSM). I have been working as an artist since my time at CSM, mainly doing commissioned work and working for small bespoke design companies and set up my own company called Not Quite Lauren last year. Over the last year I have decided that I would like to focus on becoming a teacher. Hopefully on completion of this course I will be able to do a Graduate teaching program (GTP).

Sunday 5 December 2010

My five main sources of information

  • ·         Web 2.0 technologies- within my practice I use such technologies to network with fellow practitioners and keep abreast of what friends and colleagues are doing. Also through groups like Art Chancellor (a group I follow on Facebook) I can showcase some of my work, meet other like minded professionals and enter design competitions.
  • ·         Colleagues, friends and other like minded practitioners- I try as much as possible to keep in touch with  friends from CSM and LCF as the industry in which I work in is very  closely knit and thus often hear about job opportunities and interesting exhibitions through other people in the industry.
  • ·         Exhibitions and galleries- artists are encouraged not to work in a vacuum they must be influenced by what is going on around them and what other artists are experimenting with. As a result I visit galleries and exhibitions as a source of inspiration. I also try to make sure that my work reflects our current social, economical and political climate.
  • ·         Reading periodical- currently I tend to read these and other related articles on the internet it helps me to keep up to date with what is going on within my practice and let me know of good upcoming exhibitions.
  • ·         My school’s art director and other colleagues in school- they are a great source of information, they are helping me to learn more about teaching and all the different protocols within our school. I am particularly leaning a lot from the art director he has been involving me in a lot of the behind the scenes things that he has to do, in particular what is required for internal departmental reviews and Ofsted inspections the latter of which we have on Tuesday. I am also learning a lot from the pupils within the school, in particular the art students by how they all come up with different approaches to the same projects very often seeing it from a perspective I had not previously thought of.

3 comments:

  1. Hi stephanie - you have shown the myriad of sources where you get your information / learning and knowledge. I guess we all get our information from as an ecletic range as you and the useful task is to reflect on all these sources and assess their usefulness to the various parts of our professional practice. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosemary, thanks for the comments will go back and re look at my sources and see how they inform the way I work. I know this isn't a great post really just wanted to get them down to get me thinking about my information sources to help with my essay. In reflection perhaps should not have used my blog as a platform for jotting down unfinished thoughts/ideas. Will revisit this exercise again. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to see that you wrote down that you get information via exhibitions and galleries. I had never really considered all the information and inspiration we as artists absorb from such an environment before.

    ReplyDelete